- 1 Emergency Action plan (EAP) Application
Emergency Action plan (EAP) Application
This page serves as the User Documentation/Tutorial for the EAP application. The tutorials are listed below in video format, with short descriptions accompanying the videos. The videos provide captions as instructions for how to use each feature of the EAP application in addition to the descriptions in each heading. The application can be found at https://ndnufinal.appspot.com/.
The EAP application can be used to send communication to a large audience via SMS or email. To accomplish this, the application includes several advanced data-centric features which enable the system to reach the proper audience with the proper information in a short amount of time. Each module is introduced below with further instruction/tutorials for using them in their own respective categories. The User Groups section lists the group names that belong to the system, a user must belong to the group assigned to an area of the application before it is accessible.
The Admin console is accessible only by site admins and allows an admin to create/modify groups, add/remove users from those groups as well as completely remove users and groups from the system. These groups then control access to the rest of the site. New users must request access and gain approval from the site admin before they are allowed to access restricted areas of the site.
There are public areas of the site that do not require special permissions. These areas allow for viewing emergency kit locations, public documents and subscribing to email/SMS alerts (the "Student Page").
The Emergency Kits section of the application holds the location, contents and expiration date of the items that belong to the kit. These are view-able by the public on the evacuation map. Users can search for the nearest kit, while operators can update kit contents and run expiration reports.
The Document Management section is a repository on the cloud for important information - they can contain maps, checklists, emergency contact information, etc. Documents can uploaded, viewed, and deleted from within the application. Additionally, documents can be assigned privileges allowing only certain groups/the public the ability to only see items for which they are granted access.
Workflows can be created to push down emergency instructions from emergency response coordinators to end users. They exhibit a "flow chart" feel that travels through a series of prompts to arrive at the proper method of communication.
The Messaging system sends out email and/or SMS messages to groups who have subscribed to the alerts. Messages can be sent out through workflows, either SMS or Emails depending on how the workflow is setup, or directly through the messaging console to pre-defined groups.
The following user groups exist on the application to maintain integrity across each function. Admins can place users into single or multiple groups depending on the use-case requirements of that user.
|WORKFLOW_ADMIN||Creates and maintains workflows|
|WORKFLOW_OPERATOR||Steps through any workflows to which they have access|
|ACCOUNT_PENDING||User has requested access to the admin console|
|ACCOUNT_CONFIRMED||User has been granted access to the admin console|
|ACCOUNT_NOTIFY||User has signed up through the student portal page. Should receive outreach messages, but have no system access|
|OUTREACH_OPERATOR||User is allowed to bulk-send email and SMS messages to any user or group|
|EMERGENCY_CONTACT||User serves as a point of contact for members of the public who notice an emergency, contact info should be published publicly.|
|DOC_ADMIN||User can upload, delete, or change the ACLs for a document|
|KIT_ADMIN||User can create/edit/delete emergency kits, and run any related reports.|
Upon first encountering the system, users must request an account via "Sign Up for Dashboard Access". An account request will be presented to the site admin, once it has been approved, users can log in and interact with the system within their admin-defined privileges. The video below shows the process - the video contains captions with the following text as well.
- Click "Sign up" button
- Enter preferred gmail address
- Site administrator will approve and assign group name. Log in with this gmail after admin has granted approval!
- After the admin has granted access, click on User to update phone preference
- Enter a valid mobile number for where your would like to receive SMS messages
An administrator has the ability to allow access to the site and upgrade users to groups that enable access to specific functions within the site. The following video provides a lesson on how to accept users and provide them with the proper level of access, as well as the necessary day-to-day procedures for maintaining the integrity of the site's user groups. The following text appears as captions in the video as well.
- After sign in, navigate to "Admin Console"
- Find the user that belongs to "ACCOUNT_PENDING" and update them to the proper groups
- If the desired group is not yet created, create it with "Create New Group". Select the user(s) that should belong to that group.
- If a group needs to be removed, click "Delete Group".
- Select the target group from the dropdown and click "Delete".
- Users can also be deleted using "Delete User".
- Select the target user(s) and click "Delete".
The Ekit area provides functionality to manage and maintain the stock and location of Emergency Kits. Each item can be audited an updated with quantities, expiration dates and locations. The Ekits can be viewed on a map of the campus. New items can be added, old items can be deleted - it is a fully functional management system. The video shows the steps to make changes in this section, the following text appears as captions.
- Enter the item name and expiration in number of days (0 = no expiration)
- Navigate to "All Kits" to add the new Ekit, Select "New Emergency Kit..."
- Enter name and location to add the new kit to the system
- Ensure the location is correct. Add items to the kit by selecting "New Emergency Kit Item"
- Select the Item Type and enter quantity
- The Item will be added with quantity and expiration date shown
- Navigate to Dashboard -> Evacuation Map to view the Ekit on the map
- Clicking on the Kit will popup with general info and a link to the Ekit
- Select the Ekit link to view the Ekit info
- To view a list of expiring items, click "Expiration Report"
- Items are searched by date and displayed in a list if they expire at or before the date entered
Document Management Procedures
The Document Management area provides a quick, easy way to upload/view/retrieve documents. This area is accessible to users that are placed into the DOC_ADMIN group. Users in this group have the opportunity to restrict access to certain documents on a per-group or per-user basis, or access can be granted to anyone. The video shows these steps and also contains the following text as captions.
- Navigate to "Documents"
- Click "Upload a new document"
- Select "Choose File", click on a file to upload
- Determine the level of privileges for the file
- Selecting "Allow anyone..." will make the document public for all users
- You can also choose only certain groups (single or multiple)
- In addition, only certain users can be selected
- A summary screen will display the privileges selected
- Selecting the uploaded file will open it in a file viewer
- The "detail" link also displays the file summary
- Files can easily be deleted with the "Delete" checkbox
The workflow concept allows for an event(s) to be executed depending on the needs of the situation. Decisions are made from a predefined "flow chart", which terminate in an action. These are preset and executed in time of need. The video shows an example for creating and executing a workflow with the following text as captions.
- To create a new workflow, click "New Workflow"
- Name the workflow, click create
- Click on the workflow name, ensure pops are allowed
- To begin adding events, click the cog next to workflow name
- Name and add a root event, you can add permission for particular people as well
- Name and add an event
- Use the "Message" field to determine next steps (Yes or No decision)
- Ensure you select the correct User Interaction on the root event
- Without this you cannot add additional nodes
- I have added some nodes already to show a complete flow in the root "Yes" path
- Name and create decision for the root "No" path
- Choose communication type and user interaction if needed (no communication type yet)
- Add yes and no events for decision (ensure user interaction is correct)
- Set "Yes" event, message, user and user interaction (email in this case, no interaction needed)
- Set "No" event, message, user and user interaction (SMS in this case, no interaction needed)
- Add a closure message indicating workflow end/summary for each path
- Navigate to Dashboard -> Run Your Workflows to execute
- The workflow will now run through each created prompt
- Different decisions cause different outcomes (intention of workflow concept)
- Navigate to event log to view history of workflow communication
The Messaging Console allows the user to send ad-hoc messages (either SMS or email) to a group. This is to allow communication where it may not be necessary to have a workflow/emergency event preset to do so. The video below shows this process with the following text as captions.
- Navigate to "Message Console"
- Select message type and user groups. You can select multiple or single
- Enter subject, message and click "Create"
- A summary will be displayed. You can go back to the dashboard or view delivery reports
- For SMS, simply change the message type and select user groups
- You don't need a subject for SMS - just type your message and click "Create"
- The "reports" link will take you to the Event Log
- Enter the timeframe for your query, click "Submit"
- Results are displayed indicating time and to/from for the message.